Sunday, November 14, 2010

Season 3 Episode 5, "Jurying"

"Look, maybe I didn't play by the rules this time."

Jez starts a relationship with a criminal while Mark gets roped into going to a rave.

- This one, more than others, can be either annoying or perfect, depending on my mood. I suppose that says more about me than anything else, but there it is.

- There’s yet another scene in a grocery store with Mark and Jez. This happens in a lot more episodes than you would think. I might go so far as to say that of all sitcoms, this show features the most scenes in a grocery store. I quite like that, as roommates in real life often go there together.

- This one introduces us to the reckless Sophie that shows up more often later. I really like this side of her character. It’s very believable that she would turn to this as she enters her 30s and life hasn’t worked out how she expected.

- The actress playing Carla, the defendant, is perfect. She really does seem trashy.

- The guy playing the foreman of the jury is a judge in the movie, “Magicians.” Yet another Peep Show/Magicians connection.

- The guy playing Sophie’s gay friend, Dom, is perfect, yet… where does he go? I don’t see him in any scenes beyond the first one he shows up in, although he’s supposed to have gone clubbing with them, surely?

- The scene with Mark, the homophobe, talking his way into a gay bar is pretty good.

- Mark’s speech on the necessity of capitalism is one of the character’s finest moments. It really encapsulates everything he believes. And it’s true.

"There are systems in this world for a reason!"

Quotes:

- Jeremy, on his philosophy as a juror: “Whatever it is, I’d let them off.”

Mark: “Jeremy, don’t try and upset me.”

- Jez: “This isn’t wrong, just illegal. Like drink driving.”

- Jez, mockingly: “’Oh, I’m the foreman. Only I get to talk to the judge.’ Fuck you.”

- Mark, reluctant to try E: “Is there not a slim chance I might… die?”

- Mark, pretending to be on E: “I might be getting the famous ‘munchies.’”

Sophie: “Really, on E? I’ll get you some water.”

- Mark, to the ravegoers squatting in his house: "It's only through the miracle of consumer capitalism that means you're not lying in your own shit, dying at 43 with rotten teeth, and a little pill with a chicken on it isn't going to change that.

Now, come on. Fuck off.”

UK Stuff:

- Skinner and Baddiel: A comedic duo.

- Rymans: A stationery store.

- Goose Green: The site of a Falklands War battle.

- Hen night: A bachelorette party. Jez likens women’s prison to this.

- Sugar: Alan Sugar, who Wikipedia tells me is a “British entrepreneur, media personality and political adviser.” He has Donald Trump’s role on the UK version of “The Apprentice.”

War references:

- Mark likens himself, positively, to Rommel.

3 comments:

  1. Watching the show for the first time. Loved this episode, but it makes me hate Sophie even more. What a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gay Dom is in the nightclub scene, he's sat down with the group after they've got in. He isn't seen again after that so I assume his E pill didn't agree with him and he went home haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say Mark is homophobic, he's just uncomfortable with anything to do with sexuality.

    Interestingly, there's a deleted scene on the third season DVD where Mark is talking to his sister and she starts to talk about their father having a mistress and their mother having an affair with a bloke in her pottery class. Mark refuses to even think about or discuss it, even resorting to sticking his fingers in his ears and doing the whole "la la I'm not listening!" thing.

    ReplyDelete